Tuesday, October 23, 2012

behind the shop

There's something about whipping up a new pillow, tossing it on the sofa, and watching your room transform in the tiniest, happiest way.

My inspirations came from my love of quilts.  Beautiful, handmade quilts.  I love the process as much as I love the results.  Quilts take forever to make.  At least when you have a toddler, house projects, and daily chores in the way, I mean as your top priorities.  My pillows give me that quilt process satisfaction, and I'm pretty pleased by the way they turn out.  Plus they take a fraction of the time of standard quilts.

I came across this quilt, and fell in love.  The colors, the geometric pattern, the simplicity of the quilting.  Hence, my triangle pillows.

image via happy together

I wanted to find some large scale buffalo check fabric, in either red or green, so I could make some cozy pillows for the Christmas season, but couldn't find anything in the right color or within my price range.  So when I came across this quilt pattern, I knew this was the way I was going to have to go about it.  (Check out all the photos of this quilt, it's seriously gorgeous.)  I'm not complaining, though, because I really love how these pillows turn out.

image via craftyblossom

And then there's arrows/herringbone/chevron.  Hugely popular and the direction of the pillows that I'm working on now.  I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of in love with them.  (Do you know the difference between chevron and herringbone?  Go here for a quick design lesson.)

Arrows.  There are so many beautiful arrow designs.

print from penandpaint, on etsy
Chevron.

print from katygirl designs, on etsy

Another take on chevron (my favorite kind of chevron - chevron meets arrows).

print from fancythatdesignhouse, on etsy

Herringbone.
print from retromenagerie, on etsy

I'm a lover of herringbone.  One of my favorite patterns.  My dream is a rustic, wooden herringbone floor.  Dreamy, huh?

source

I want to create pillows that are family friendly, budget friendly, and beautiful.  And that's the goal of my shop.  It also gives me that creative outlet that I long for daily.  I love the added punch of color that a pillow, or two, can add to a room.  I love mixing and matching patterns in a space - it adds to a collected, and lived in feel.  I'm inspired every day and look forward to where that inspiration leads me.

"With quiet colors as a base, a room is easy to change and a pleasure to be in.  Add or remove a pattern, a color, something new or antique, a bit crazy or very classic.  Change anything, but enjoy."  (from page 110, "Love for Textures" [from Ikea])

{visit paisley sprouts, etsy shop, here}


0 comments:

Post a Comment